...advertisement

Thread: Chex Mix, Pretzels, Goldfish crackers: Possible to store for longterm in mylar bags?

Chex Mix, Pretzels, Goldfish crackers: Possible to store for longterm in mylar bags?

Hello everyone! I'm trying to add comfort foods to my longterm storage preps. I've started to place chex mix, pretzels, and goldfish crackers in freezer bags with ziplocks, then place in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. I'm just trying to round out my storage to help my family cope with the problems that we will be facing. I already have cocoa, hard candy, popcorn, in my storage. Do you think my chex mix, pretzels, and goldfish crackers will stay fresh the way I am packing it? Thank you

Typically, oils start going rancid after about a year. Since much of what you list is high fat, I don't think you could plan on long term storage. However, they are chock full of preservatives....

Are those your primary calories, or "luxuries"?

Sustainable Stowaway cactus wren's Avatar
    Pretzels should last a long time. Over Christmas I used some pretzels that were purchased about 1 1/2 years ago, and languished in the back of the pantry. Not opened, but nothing done to enhance their packaging. They were fine.
    Instead of Chex mix, maybe just store the cereal plain, and make your own mix. It tastes better, and is a snap to make.

Search recipes sites, and you can find recipes for homemade crackers. Some are quite good.

I concur with SAT. The oil content in some of the things you're talking about is going to make long-term storage problematic.

Instead of trying to store stuff like goldfish, there's always the option of learning to make a substitute. I make my own crackers and soft pretzels, they aren't that hard. The raw ingredients for a goldfish clone (wheatberries, baking soda, cheese powder, butter powder, etc.) store for decades.
    Just another hippie in the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I concur with SAT. The oil content in some of the things you're talking about is going to make long-term storage problematic.

Instead of trying to store stuff like goldfish, there's always the option of learning to make a substitute. I make my own crackers and soft pretzels, they aren't that hard. The raw ingredients for a goldfish clone (wheatberries, baking soda, cheese powder, butter powder, etc.) store for decades.
    That's a good point to make - it's much more practical to store raw multipurpose ingredients that store well than it is to keep single-purpose pre-pepared preservative laden foods. In the long run it's likely to be much healthier too. That's the smart way to deal with long term....learn how to make it yourself from scratch. There is a learniing curve but it really isn't hard.

In the short term to help with a transistion just keep your ingredients separate. Chex and pretzels will last in the original sealed packaging for years. Go to the store and check the expiration date. Cereal expiration is often a year from the packaging date. They'll still be edible for years longer. Crackers are loaded up with preservatives to keep them from going rancid but they do have an ultimate shelf life. Keeping the ingredients separate will at the least reduce the opportunity for spoilage of the entire batch. If the sky hasn't fallen in a year use the old up and replace.

If you are good at rotation your supplies (annually or as appropriate) then go for it - otherwise try to find something that will store better.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    ...learn how to make it yourself from scratch.
    That's the money quote
    Just another hippie in the hills.